Tuesday, December 19, 2017

2017 Week 50: Lights and trees

Upland Depot Park
The week began with one of my favorite events: Kayla's students' dance recital at Cornerstone for the Arts in Muncie. She was directing and/or dancing with her students in thirteen acts.


One of Kayla's favorite dance classes is musical theatre. This year they performed Mary Poppins.

"Let's go fly a kite"
Our own Kristie was in the adult ballet class, a first for her! 


It was college finals week. I met with each of these students individually one last time.


That evening we enjoyed another of Stephan's meals with friend Gina and her cute and boisterous little grandsons.


Finally, Tuesday, when grades were turned in, I dragged out all the Christmas stuff from the attic and decorated one tree.

The "anorexic" tree
 Meanwhile, Moriah spent the entire day completing assignments and studying for finals, with very few breaks or interruptions. Way to keep plodding, Moriah! That takes grit!


What a fun surprise to look out my writing area window in the loft and discover that Michael had put together the lighted deer. He says it was the only one he saw this season. Not a successful hunting year.


Michael also put together our big Christmas tree and strung new lights. (Photo of decorated tree will come next week.)

Thursday I took off for Winona Lake again to spend time with Mother and encourage her in the long recovery phase. That evening they had a carol sing and devotion in the activities room across the hall from her. She'd had her hair done that day. That makes her happy. Can you believe that at 96 she still has a reddish tint?


This time I spent the night in Ivan and Kim's guest room and had a nice visit with them.
Friday the 15th I was reminded that 60 years earlier was our grandmother Hoyt's funeral in Winona Lake, IN. We were living in Evans City, PA, that year. Mother was great with child, Ivan, due in a few weeks, so we did not travel with Dad.


 I was able to enlarge the photo on my phone and show Mother the various ornaments including the new one in the center, a house to represent their current occupation HP Home Rescue.

Our favorite activity together is to read old letters. This time I had the last batch from Aunt Margaret to finish up, a smattering from the years 1963-1966. I learned many interesting details, such as the exact date of my final departure from Argentina, December 20, 1963, a very different Christmas that year.

Meal times I join Mother's table. The long waits allow for fun interaction with the residents. The lady on the left was also a missionary in Argentina. And once upon a time I taught their daughter in the third grade of the Escuela Cristiana Evangélica in Río Cuarto, Córdoba.


 From one nursing home to another. . . Saturday, back home, the big event for me was the Dancin Divas' (or was it the Tapping Divas) performance at the University Nursing Center nearby.

 I think we agreed we'd take a better photo if we planned on it before the performance instead of an afterthought. At least we are all smiling, like we should be while dancing, which is hard to do when you're concentrating on the steps!


1 comment:

I love hearing from you!