Wednesday, December 6, 2017

2017 Week 48: Celebration of Life

Another BIG week for our household and my family--I was sick; Mother fell, broke her hip and had  surgery; and finally the memorial service for my brother Lynn in Las Vegas.

Christmas cheer is appearing everywhere, but no visible signs in our home yet.
I was delighted to see a Christmas tree set up at Stephan and Karen's Monday, their largest ever and the first since moving to Dove's Crossing.


Mother fell Sunday and had surgery Tuesday. I am grateful for my siblings that live nearby and can look in on her and work on all the insurance issues and arrangements. We are so grateful that they were able to get coverage accepted by Grace Village and have her moved into their rehab area. Mother has surprised us with her good progress, yet we are well aware that at her age healing will take a long.

A sore throat hit me Sunday and worsened as I was teaching Monday morning. Our resident student has had the same symptoms all week. I saw the doctor Thursday because I'd be traveling Friday. Moriah finally went to the clinic yesterday. So we've been in survival mode, getting by with only the most important responsabilities. Three quiet homebound days allowed me to go scour the archives, read letters, and write some memories of Lynn to share at his memorial.

Michael has a touch of respiratory issues but nothing that holds him back. He's been intensely busy with the assembly and delivery of the first lot of BattHawks; meetings, problem solving, presentations to do with the joint PhyXTGears-Taylor University satellite project; and the long ago planned bi-annual Kochout scheduled for the same day as Lynn's memorial. As if that were not enough he had to try to unblock the kitchen sink and in the end called plumbers to fix the problem with their bigger tools. The weather was pleasant enough that he also got out for a bicycle ride twice! I think that's about to change tho', the weather I mean.
Michael was kind enough to drive me to the airport in Fort Wayne at "O'dark 30" Friday. We left a little after 4:00 a.m., the moon was bright.



A last goodbye at the airport
We raced from one end of the Chicago airport to the other, made the connection just in time to board and were up in the air for long enough in cramped conditions. At the end of the flight the pilot sys, "We hope you enjoyed the flight."  Ha!  


It was only mid morning when we arrived in Vegas, so we had a long day to fellowship and become acquainted with some family members we hadn't met yet and catch up with the others. People, food, and memorabilia from Argentina everywhere. Great fun!

Mmmm . . . mate and Mary's butter cake.

I'd never seen a yerba mate dispenser before. Nor had I ever heard of their strange Hand and Foot rules! 

Top: Alan, Micheal, Bambi, Philip, Ivan
Bottom left: Bambi and Rosalyn. Bottom right: Mary, Kathy, Priscilla
Saturday everyone was up unusually early, preparing and anticipating the memorial service. . . and reminiscing about Lynn.


It was a good service. I was able to share what I had written and only wished others had spoken up with memories.


After the fellowship meal we had the rest of the day to explore Las Vegas. Rachel, Lynn's only granddaughter, wanted us to see the Christmas flower display at the Bellagio. It was opening day and very crowded.



When we walked out, early evening, the moon was creeping up between the buildings and the impressive water shows had begun.


Ah! The grand finale was dinner at an authentic Argentine restaurant--Rincón de Buenos Aires--complete with live tango music. A deliciously nostalgic event.


Another loooong day Sunday--three flights brought us safely back to Fort Wayne via San Francisco and Chicago. I can say I saw Alcatraz. Can you see it?


1 comment:

  1. I’m glad you got to go to Lynn’s service. Under the circumstances, it looks like you had a nice time. I love the picture of Michael in the wreath :) And the flower show made me think of Stephen’s carvings.

    I hope your mother has continued her rapid recovery!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!