Sunday, July 28, 2013

2013 Week 30: The Big Move

It is safe to say that the dominant event of the week was Sam's family's move into their new home. We tried to give as much time as we could squeeze in to help get the house ready for the move. The photos will reflect that and more.

Sunday we stayed around here and had a very full day of our own. It was the college-age Sunday School class' turn to serve coffee between services, or rather those who help out with that age group.
Later that evening we joined the young folk for a cookout and college-age fun.

College-age Sunday School picnic by Taylor Lake

Definitely a busy day for our college Sunday School teacher and family. There was a shower in the afternoon to welcome their new baby, Caroline, number 3. Notice the unique shower theme and treats.


Also that afternoon daughter Leah called us to come over and tour the house they are moving into in the coming week/s. I suspect that will be the focus of our next week.


Leah excited about a new home and garden

Monday Karen and helpers cooked for Monday Night Dinner. Stephan was already in Columbus, OH, at the State Fair for several days of sand sculpturing. He posted this photo, one of several pieces.


Tuesday Mike and I spent the day at Sam's. Always a treat to enjoy the grandchildren.

Los preciosos--Zion and Jude
The move-in deadline was close: still no kitchen cabinets, no carpet for a couple bedrooms, bathrooms unfinished. They were prepared to live for a while with no kitchen, if necessary.
On July 13 Sam wrote on Facebook, "God's timing and provision are perfect." I wondered what he meant specifically. Nothing, only a reminder that God is faithful.

A few days later, an entire set of cabinets became available for an incredible price! 
Every day thereafter brought wonderful provision and noticeable change.

Kitchen before and after
Michael was able to be there some each day.
I, however, had registered long ago for a three-day writer's conference, and only popped in a couple times.
I worried about not being available to help at such a critical time, but over time received confirmation that I was where I was supposed to be.
The list of ways the Midwest Writers Workshop benefited me is long and ongoing. We were privileged to attend sessions with award-winning authors and network with writers at varying stages of their journey.
Here, 40 year reporter for 7NEWS Boston and award winning mystery author, Hank Phillippi Ryan, and a new writer friend with whom I connected on a variety of life experiences.
On a humorous note: I chose the half-face photo because she taught me the trick for finding your best side! Cover one half at a time and compare. you will discover your best side!

Keynote speaker and new friend.
I bought three books and felt rather extravagant. I comfort myself with the thought that I am blessing the authors and that these copies will be passed on and enjoyed by many. From left to right:
--Colleen Coble's hit the New York Best Seller list the very day I was attending her workshop.
--The co-authors faith and hope through their journey with MS, reminded me of two friends.
--The advice I received from Holly Miller to focus and leave out some details, led me to the third book.


Today, I opened Colleen's book and read her note which confirmed all I had been hearing, basically--Focus and Git r done!


These are only a few of the highlights and lessons from the MWW. Hope to cull many more in the days to come as I go over notes, read books, and write!
After the conference ended Saturday evening, I drove over to Sam's to observe firsthand the progress of the move. As I walked in I heard Kristie singing. She was working in her new kitchen! Then the warm scene of a recently used dining table and furnished living room greeted me.


Michael was there quietly working as he had many days before. I think he also enjoyed some grandpa moments.
Can you see where he'd been most of the day? He's still wearing the official t-shirt of volunteer for the Great Greenway Tour.


Today, Sunday, we said goodbye to the two Basque girls who visited our community this month. It was a tearful goodbye. I'm thinking about them as they travel, and looking forward to seeing them next year in their country, Lord willing.

Ana, Rita, María

2 comments:

  1. Busy week!
    So excited for Sam and Kristie and their family -- what a wonderful "gift" from the Lord to have the larger space, and to see His on-going provision in the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those grandboys are adorable! I want to squinch their faces (which, since I'm a stranger, I wouldn't actually do - ha!).

    So glad you got to attend that workshop - inspiration is a wonderful thing :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!