Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What's on Your Nightstand?


This is a monthly feature of 5 Minutes for Books. I have never participated, but this time felt the urge. So here is what I am currently reading or hope to read in the not too distant future.

Whenever hubby and I drive anywhere together, I tuck away a book in my bag to read to him at every opportunity. It took us a few months to finish The Cave by José Saramago. I don't know how long it will take us for the current volume, A Valley of Betrayal by Tricia Goyer. Depends on how many long road trips we take I suppose. I first read a review of the book on 5 Minutes for Books and immediately purchased it online. The subtitle, Chronicles of the Spanish Civil War, is what caught my attention. I have been aware of how the impact of that period divides the history of Spain like a watershed, but have never known much about it and much less been able to truly understand that war. That is why I am interested in this historical novel. I learned that it is only the first in a series. A deep subject indeed.

I just realized it is a Moody publication. We just visited Moody Bible Institute a few days ago. While there we had a tour of the institution and viewed a wall of famous alumni and another of those who have gone out as missionaries. All who were martyred for their faith are marked with an asterisk. We were told there was a book available, a collection of stories of martyred alumni. I was immediately interested, so we purchased A Martyr's Grace at the bookstore. Dwight L. Moody was asked once, "Have you grace to be a martyr?" His answer was, "No, but if God wanted me to be one, He would give me a martyr's grace." (p 11)

The book that is really next to my bed is Remembering Your Story: Creating Your Own Spiritual Autobiography which is very much what I want to do. That will be a slow read as well. So, honestly, I have no idea when I will be back to report on my reading progress.

Hasta entonces  (Until then) Happy reading journey to all my fellow readers!

4 comments:

  1. I love that you read aloud in the car with your husband. It's so easy to think that reading aloud is just for kids--but it totally isn't!

    All of those books sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Nightstand postings! I love participating every month and always add more books to my to-read pile than I read the previous month. I guess that's the hazards of reading others' lists! :)

    Welcome and happy May reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the useful insight reviews.


    rachat credits et simulation Rachat de credit au meilleur taux

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trip to Moody sounds really interesting. I grew up hearing their radio broadcasts as my Dad was a big fan.

    Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!