Sunday, October 15, 2017

2017 Week 41: Earthly Farewells

The week was overshadowed by two earthly losses/heaven's gain.

In memory of Viola

Yet our earthly pilgrimage must go on as usual: teaching, grading, writing, tap class, for me; robotics, pottery, and so much more for Michael.
Our resident student had a visit from her best friend and is now on Fall break after surviving seven weeks of a grueling schedule.


Water color class is going well. This week we transfered a child's drawing and then practiced the techniques Jason is trying to teach us.
Jason's water colors using his kids'art

Then we worked on a still life. I realized that I am too realistic, not artsy. We have such a good time together, enjoying the process as well as the results.
Leah's, Stephan's, Kari's, and my pumpkins

Speaking of pumpkins. . . Stephan has been very busy carving and shaping them into the most unusual rearrangements.

Tractor; Pumpkin Pele doing a bicycle kick; Lighted Pumpkin Clock; . . .

Thursday morning my brother Alan shared this tribute to his beloved wife:
Early in the morning of October 12, 1492, a sailor on board the Pinta sighted land, beginning a new era of European exploration and expansion. The next day, the ninety crew members of Columbus’ three-ship fleet ventured onto the Bahamian island that he named San Salvador (now Watling Island, and then called Guanahaní by the natives), ending a voyage begun nearly ten weeks earlier in Palos, Spain."
Early in the morning of October 12, 2017, Sharon Lynn Hoyt, my shipmate for nearly 35 years sighted land, beginning our new era of exploration. Here is her last text to me: "First you have to build the wooden sailboat, then we’ll go on a long cruise". To the very end her thoughts and dreams were for and about me and her boys. Her words to me over the last couple of days were about preparing a place for me. She asked me to never forget Romans 8:8-23


Today she discovered freedom, everlasting love, the reality of the truth we all crave to touch and see.

Sharon's journey with cancer lasted five torturous years of multiple surgeries and every treatment available. She fought with courage and grace and never lost hope.

In 2013 when Dad passed away she was already going through chemo.

Top: With Mother, four brothers and spouses;
Bottom left: my favorite photo of Alan and Sharon. Bottom right: The last time I saw Sharon, Mother's 96th birthday in July.

A very timely memory popped up the next day, a painting I was drawn to when we visited the Art Prize several years ago. It speaks to me now, of the grief journey ahead for Alan and the two boys, Nicolas (28), Daniel (almost 27). I especially love the reminder of Who is there for them, and of the promise in Luke 21:19 (The Voice)


Friday we celebrated the life of my dear friend Viola Fights (86).
As a tall beautiful 18 year old she was headed to college and a promising future when she contracted polio and her life was altered forever. The disease did not hold her back. She married and raised six children and more that ended up in her care. She was not one to complain, though trapped in a body with increasing limitations. When we met thirty three years ago she could still walk with leg braces and crutches and almost daily walked by our house in the neighborhood. Post polio took its toll over the years. Then for years she got around town on her scooter until gradually she became totally bedridden.

Senior picture from her high school yearbook. A "walk" together on her 80th birthday with her beloved dog Patches.

As the family gathered photos for the memorial, they lacked one of Mary her caregiver for 13 years. I happened to have the only one. This was my gift to Mary and the family.

The angel who cared for my friend

Michael had gotten up very early to work on a presentation for a FIRST robotics forum and was busy all day. He also made a Venison Chili Mac for a chili cookout at Victory Acres, our local CSA farm.

Mike's special Venison Chili Mac

The weather was perfect. They had planned a wonderful fall festival. One activity was photo treasure hunt. This was my shot at the photo booth.

Tired

We had a lovely relaxing evening with good food and friends.


Michael left very early Saturday for Purdue in West Lafayette. His presentation, "Basic Electricity and Electronics for FRC", was well attended. He had a long day away. I had a long day at home.

1 comment:

  1. That's a lot of loss for you guys in a short period of time. Love the photos of Sharon on the motorcycle & Mary with your friend.

    Stephen is so talented! My favorite is the clock.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!