Tuesday, September 12, 2017

2017 Week 36: Many Mixed Emotions

Typical week for us: very full and varied!


Sunday, Leah's family and friends came to bury her pet cat in one of our burial plots.


After sunset we enjoyed a beutiful fireworks display in celebrration of our town's sesquicentennial.


Monday was the last day of the grand celebration and the popular annual Labor Day parade, preceded by a 5K race. Even though I haven't run in a long time, I attempted to run/WALK and once again had no competition in my age group. I placed same as my age! Does that mean each year I'll be worse? Anyway I'm grateful for the opportunity, the 45' 53" time, and my daughter coming out to cheer me on as I passed her house!


We usually park our chairs by Leah's house for the parade and then visit others stationed nearby.

Family members present; Rebecca already enjoying "parade loot."

I planned to visit Mother Tuesday so made arrangements to see Malachi while in Winona Lake. We met at an ice cream shop by the lake. We decided it does not quite meet Ivanhoe's standards. ;-)
However, from the comparison of Malachi's selfie with Mike's high school picture, we all agree there is a strong family resemblance!


Mike felt I should visit my brother Lynn in Pennsylvania, and was willing to take off a couple days to go with me. Wednesday morning we set off on the nine hour journey. When we realized that evenings are not good visiting hours, we decided to stop not far off our route to visit Aunt Fae in Evans City.

With Aunt Fae and cousin Kae; lovely new framed photo--Phil's senior prom, Fae a sophomore.

We had such a fun time sharing memories and discoveries from old letters. We had to laugh at the memory about Mother (Kate) and her pet peeve--smacking and loud eating sounds. Her brothers teased her mercilessly and she would often leave the table.

12 year-old Phil's letter to his traveling preacher-dad

The back story to this letter is told in the following article that appeared in an American Family Association and Uncle Phil's response years after the incident.


We enjoyed reading these and other memories with Lynn Thursday morning. He and I shared some mates together, wonderful nostalgic fellowship.
Lynn has lost weight and is very limited by  the ravages of liver disease and LBD, but his spirit is alive and well. Our time together was precious.


Our Friday evening fun was at the Delta vs Burris soccer game. We're grateful for the opportunity Elijah has to be on Delta's first soccer team. BTW, Delta defeated Karen's Burris students 6 to 2. (Sorry, Karen.)

Elijah, Delta's #25

Saturday's excitement was a wedding. The bride rode in two Circle Tours of the Basque Country with Mike. And, after being pronounced Mrs. Sean Richardson, rode off on a tandem with her new husband, side saddle in her wedding dress, down the lane lined with bicycles!

Sara Hemmick's outdoor wedding and Circle Tour reunion with Dane & Laurie Davenport and Tate and Chelsea Gaines

This week's travels afforded the opportunity to listen to an audio book and finish two colorings!



2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got to go see Lynn! And way to go you entering that race - you're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed this! You have a full life, and an interesting way of sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!