Sunday, July 17, 2011

Vegas: Week Two

Sunday, July 10~one month since the house fire and we are very far away, keeping busy having fun. Doesn't seem right.
Mike and I went to church with Paul, Kathy and Elizabeth--a wonderful, young fellowship that still meets in a school.

Paul and Kathy
It was Kayla's last day of ballet seminar with a performance in the afternoon. Can you find her in the group photo?


After that we moved to the hotel where her next events were to take place, the Flamingo.

Monday, July 11~ First day of Dance Educators of America National Competitions
Jimmy and Leah had arrived in the night, just in time for the big event.

Grandpa and Mom congratulating  the lovely dancer


Kayla hadn't eaten much because she was nervous, so after her two solos, although exhausted and feeling sick, she was very happy with her two gold medals.

Tuesday, July 12th~second day of Nationals
Two more golds for group dances.

Center Stage team with teacher, Sandra Shipley

Showing off their golds
Wednesday, July 13
Kayla's one and only free day we took off for the Grand Canyon and had a wonderful time together admiring the beauty of the landscape.


Kayla wanted a photo doing a dance move by the canyon. She wasn't happy with this one because of a technicality--something about a droopy foot.  Her mother and I were too nervous watching her close to the edge, even though she wasn't that close, so she settled for this one.
Jimmy and Kayla were like mountain goats climbing to the highest spot to look out.


I couldn't even do this:

Kayla and Mike gazing at the depths of the canyon
We also saw Hoover Dam.


Thursday, July 14~Frist day of DEA dance workshops
We took Jimmy and Leah to the airport. They made the most of their short time in Vegas and had a great time.


We took advantage of all we could of what is good and interesting in Las Vegas. Every day we saw and experienced something new. We walked and walked and walked some more. We did things on our own in the mornings. Kayla's workshops were over by 1:30, so afternoons and evenings we went out together.
I could bore you with twenty times more photos for each day. Maybe I'll post photos during the week highlighting the various places we visited.

We ate at different places learning to be careful about prices and portion sizes. The best place for breakfast was the ubiquitous McDonald's. No matter what shape or form you can still get a senior coffee for 64 cents, and free WiFi!


In the evening we tried Planet Hollywood, delicious and plenteous. We had a free appetizer and only bought two entrees. Oops, I forgot to take pictures of the food, and it's all gone!


Someone had told me before we left that she found the restrooms in Las Vegas most interesting. I noticed this one in Planet Hollywood.

Friday, July 15
We met a very interesting man, who works at the hotel giving away specials in order to make sales. He had graduated from Grace Seminary and knew my uncle, who was the president at the time, and several  professors we both had. Anyway, we did get tickets to the musical theater show we wanted to see, the Phantom of the Opera. Impressive!
Afterwards we saw the volcano erupt outside the Mirage, and watched the water symphony at the Bellagio. All amazing displays.


These do not do justice to the grand shows, so, yes, I will have to show you more throughout the week.

Saturday, July 16~last day in Vegas
Mike and I drove to Mount Charleston and hiked the Fletcher Canyon for a couple hours. I am still sore, but it was worth it. I made it to the end, felt the cold water...

 ...then looked up and saw this:


We arrived home today, Sunday.
Now, back to the nitty gritty of restoration, replacement, and rebuilding.

6 comments:

  1. Well, it looks like y'all had a great time! I'd love to go see the Grand Canyon, but I'm like you...eeek! (In fact, if I had been the one to take Kayla's picture, I would have insisted on two feet on the ground at all times, or else I couldn't have even looked through the camera TO take her picture!!) Oh, did y'all see that glass Skywalk thing they have there now?! Scary!

    Thoughts continue to be with you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! Congrats to your granddaughter!!!

    I have never been to Las Vegas so I am enjoying your pics...I will definitely be back to see the rest!

    Love the Grand Canyon, but of course that is my home state...so I am a bit biased!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting about the Grace Seminary grad. Who was he?
    Also, your hike in the canyon sounds like something I would like to do. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like you guys were able to take in a lot... and actually went and saw things I haven't even seen... maybe one day I will get around to all the sites of Vegas...
    So glad we had a few days with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Kayla! I'm glad she had a successful trip - & that you guys got to explore so much while you were gone.

    OK, it's Tuesday - I think you promised more pictures? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just don't know if I want to go to Las Vegas. I'd like to see the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam and those kinds of things, but I don't think I want to see the strip at all. Maybe after you are done with all your photos and stories I'll have made up my mind!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!