Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

The last few days of 2010
Sunday afternoon as I was taking Diane home, we went by the little church next to the cemetery and lamented the loss of its steeple blown off by the tornado a few weeks ago. Will it ever be restored to its Christmas-card charm?


The snapped trees will never be the same.

I've enjoyed the beauty of the snow-covered Indiana landscape.



As well as the glitter of a Christmas candle...


...and the message of a new gift ornament.

Brutus the cat seems to enjoy the remains of Christmas as well.


However, slowly or suddenly, change happens.
Thursday, just before 8 a.m., we experienced an earthquake that rumbled and shook our house twice a few seconds or a minute apart. Then the snow melted. By New Year's Eve the temperature had risen to nearly 60 degrees Fahrenheit! The rain held off enough to enjoy the celebration in downtown Muncie--the third annual ball drop. The robotics team that Mike mentors built this fairly elaborate ball, more sophisticated than the 2007 New York ball!
Some facts about the ball:
--60 aluminum triangles with 15 lights each, 900 total LEDs
--42" in diameter
--2 miles of wiring inside!
--2 computers to run it

Team 1720
(Photo credit--Cheryl LeBlanc)

Behind the scenes, was I, the Popcorn Queen, as friend Cheryl calls me.



El jefe
Mike has been very, very busy all week--several house projects, as well as setting up the pottery room at the Red Barn for its opening on Monday, among other things. I promise to have photos next week.

15 comments:

  1. What a fun week! Do you come home smelling like the popcorn?

    I, too, enjoyed 2010 a little more by capturing a picture every day. I'm looking forward to doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAppy New Year !!!
    Enjoyed your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayerfully the church steeple will be repaired.
    I love the winter scape shots!
    That ball is pretty impressive!! Is there anything that Mike can't do?
    Have a great week and Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad about the church steeple. I'll bet it really was card-worthy.

    I like your ornament, was it home-made?

    Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's so nice to come visit your blog again! the snow is gorgeous, and i especially love the kitty on the window sill next to the nativity. :) glad you are back on board for p365 this year. i'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed your photos. Looking forward to joining in on the P365 this year. Blessings, SusanD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your snow pictures. They were beautiful. Gracia para las fotos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weather has been BIZARRE lately. I can't believe there was 6-7 inches of snow at my dad's house in NC for Christmas. All of ours has melted away too - helped by the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angie: lol, popcorn smell is not that bad, anyway.
    Tori: Friends tease me about something I used to say when we were first married, "Mike can do anything." But it's true.
    RaD: Yes, the ornament was made by our friend, the first one Mike got started in clay art. She is especially good at carving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a great start to the New Year!

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard about that earthquake on the news...I'm not sure how I would respond to my whole house shaking????

    I think lots of folks had white Christmas's this year, we had snow also and that never happens!

    Great week!

    Happy New Year!
    Blessings
    R

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures! I am on my second year of 365 and am looking forward to following your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. earthquakes are scary...i've been in one little trimmer, that's enough for me
    beautiful pics
    HNY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the snow photos. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!