Thursday, August 14, 2008

Arrival in Argentina

Be not dismayed whate’er betide,
God will take care of you;
Beneath His wings of love abide,
God will take care of you.

Refrain:
God will take care of you,
Through every day, o’er all the way;
He will take care of you,
God will take care of you.

All you may need He will provide,
God will take care of you;
Nothing you ask will be denied,
God will take care of you.

Civilla D. Martin, 1904


The refrain of this old hymn kept coming to mind and I hummed it softly as I walked the airport waiting hall time and time again. Somehow my friend Eunice and I never saw each other.

Alone, no phone, no Argentine currency or change to use the public phone, I waited and watched.

One taxi driver sensing my plight, loaned me his cell phone. I made a couple calls and learned that my friend had given up and was on her way home.

The kind man offered to take me to my destination--Tigre. Quite far really to pay for taxi fare, but what was I to do. Oops! Not expecting this to happen, I had not written down the street address from the e-mail. So, first of all the taxi man took me to a restaurant with internet access and finally to the tall apartment building where I shared the tiny fourth floor apartment with Dora and Erni Jencquel for the next couple of weeks.


That hour or so on the road was my first re acquaintance with the inmediatez that characterizes the Argentine people. It's like you immediately feel connected and can make conversation about anything and everything. He told me all about his family, their circumstances, his one grandchild.

I asked if I could take a picture of the 'angel God sent to rescue me.' He acquiesced and turning around, said: "And, you know, my name is Gabriel."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!